Vacancy: (Senior) Product Development Engineer
Drive development of our technology to the next level. Be part of a fast-growing, high-potential, high-tech company. Make impact and join our mission to improve the performance, comfort and safety of medical devices.
Full-time – Enschede, The Netherlands
Who we are
LipoCoat is a life sciences spin-off from the University of Twente, founded in 2016. Our brand new HQ and lab facility are situated on the innovation campus of the University of Twente in Enschede, The Netherlands.
LipoCoat has developed the first bio-inspired, non-toxic antibacterial coatings for medical devices, which reduce the infection risk by 95% and can be used for e.g. catheters, contact lenses and prostheses. In the past 3 years, LipoCoat has won 18 honors and awards, including European Biotech Startup of 2019, and entered the Global Top 10 Catheter Coatings Market Players.
LipoCoat currently has 14 employees with multidisciplinary expertise in chemistry, technology development, business development, entrepreneurship and commercialization. The LipoCoat team is gender diverse, multicultural and intergenerational.
What you would do
- To further develop our coating technology for medical devices, resulting in commercially viable products
- Performing hands-on lab work, literature research, experimenting, inventing and coaching other team members
- To explore different approaches to provide structural stability to the coating technology, and test these in lab and real-life conditions
- To define a synthesis route suitable for large scale production, which implies minimizing process reaction times, production costs and production losses.
- To define a list of technical challenges that need to be solved for scaling up and explore possible solution directions together with the team
What we offer
- Working for a high-tech scale-up with an extremely innovative, high-impact product
- A great work environment with a hardworking, fun and informal team
- Working in a high-tech environment (University of Twente Innovation Campus) with access to a wealth of knowledge
- The ability to do a wide variety of tasks: from hands-on lab work to literature search, experimenting, lab testing, real-life testing and end-user contact
- The chance to travel and meet clients and key market players
- Support to help you grow as a professional
- Market rate salary
- Initially a one-year contract, which can be extended and grow into a permanent position
What we are looking for in you
- Startup mentality: driven, proactive, flexible, problem solver, team player
- Enjoys lab work ( >70% of time)
- Enjoys inventing, building set-ups, doing pragmatic tests
- Ability to independently set-up and lead R&D projects, while knowing when to ask for support
- 5-10 years’ experience with applied research & development in medtech or biotech
- PhD in chemistry, chemical / biomedical / food engineering or a MSc degree with additional work experience:
- Proven knowledge of surface functionalization, solid-gas/ solid-liquid interactions, and characterization
- Strong organizational, reporting and presentation skills
- Fluency in English; knowledge of Dutch would be an advantage
- A work permit for the EU is required.
Nice to have
- Knowledge of lipids / liposomes
- Experience with DLS, fluorescence microscopy, biological assays
- Experience with cell testing and working in a BSL-2 laboratory (biolab level 2)
- Experience with medical regulations
- Experience with contract research / customer interaction
- Experience with intellectual property / patents
How to apply
For more information or to apply directly, please send an email to Iris Wiggers at email@example.com that includes your resumé and a cover letter.
LipoCoat is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our team members. We hire on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. We look forward to receiving your application!